Earlier this week I hit a milestone of 100,000 miles on the bike since I started Triathlon. It’s been this back of my mind milestone since starting since biking was my weakness and I felt I needed “miles in my legs” (it’s what all the cyclists seem to say) and 100,000 seemed to be a decent number of miles.
Before I write my thoughts about this weekends race I thought I’d relax by pulling together a few stats and graphs. The graphs above show the distribution of riding over the course of the last 6 year and 11 months of keeping a diary. 2003 was when I started triathlon but didn’t keep a diary though I did record the 2,551 miles on the bike computer for that year. It seems such a minuscule number, however, I did win my first triathlon on such limited mileage. I could really run back then.
- Time Taken – 7y 11 months
- Average ride length – 67 miles
- Average day – 35 miles
- Average week – 243 miles
- Average Month – 1, 053 miles
- Average year – 12,637 miles
- Longest ride – 207 miles done twice – once on my Merckx and once on my Indie XS
- Shortest Ride – 2 miles – recorded 3 times (Moots, Indie, P3C) … yes I record all riding. Just shows that average is probably better than it looks as all these 2 or 3 miles are just pulling it down.
- Biggest Week – 765 miles recorded at Epic Camp this year. My week runs Monday to Sunday.
- Biggest Week To Date – 822 miles the week ending 7th Feb 2009. This was during my monster training in Christchurch in the run up to snapping the tendon in my foot ! There has been only one other occassion where my week to date has been bigger than my biggest week – 781 miles for the week ending 31 Aug 2007. A thousand miles in a week is still a big of a goal of mine though it doesn’t fit with my 100 hours a month cap.
- Shortest Week – 0 miles (on 17 occasisions)
- Biggest Month – 2,577 miles in August 2007
- Shortest Month – 0 miles in March 2009 when I was in a wheelchair. It’s the only month I’ve not ridden.
- Biggest Year – 18,569 in 2007
- Shortest Year – 2,551 in 2003 – first year of triathlon.
- Number of Centuries – 414
- Most Centuries in a Year – 104 in 2007 this started my Eddington Number addictions
- Number of Double Centuries – 7
- Number of 200k rides – 140
- Most Ridden Bike – Merckx with 27,067 miles
- Least Ridden Bike – P3C – 2010 with 199 miles (the warranty replacement frame I’ll probably sell)
- Average Bike Mileage – 7,695
- Number of bikes used – 13 – this includes a few demo bikes I’ve tested.
I think thats enough stats. Why put them up here ? Well I’ve found it fun and I know when i first put up Eddington numbers it got a few people thinking about their own. Perhaps this will do the same.
Should be blogging tomorrow about the race.